25% Off Sale on now!
Powerful boolean operations for SketchUp Make or Pro
- Union, Difference, Intersection, Trim, Split
- Designed with 3D Printing in mind to work with small complex objects (no more scaling workarounds!)
- Works with nested solids!
- Does not create new components! The original component is modified as expected.
- Maintains the Layer and Names of the first object selected
- New Single Object Union tool (click a single group or component to union all nested solids inside of it)
- Results in solid 3D printable objects in almost all cases (if the original objects were also solids)
Purchase a permanent license for BoolTools 2 now for
only $20 US.
25% Off for a Limited Time! Only $15!
For volume licensing, simply enter the number of licenses required in the order form. To request a volume licensing discount, please contact us.
Not ready to purchase yet? No problem! Just download BoolTools 2 below and try out the free preview mode to see just how powerful it really is!
About 20 months before SketchUp Pro 8 released the Solid Tools, (way back in Dec 2008!), the original BoolTools plugin for SketchUp was released. This tool provided an inexpensive way to perform some basic boolean operations and worked with both SketchUp Make (free) or Pro. After all, the Pro Solid Tools did not exist yet, and no one even knew that SketchUp was considering creating this long-requested feature.
The original BoolTools plugin was indeed useful and helped fill a necessary need in the SketchUp toolset for many years (especially for Make users). However, it definitely had some limitations, especially when it came to dealing with smaller complex objects.
Successful boolean operations depend on high-precision 3D intersections, something that the internal SketchUp geometry engine struggles with at times. Even the Pro Solid Tools struggles with this problem. That’s why so many Solid Tools users have adopted the copy and ‘scale-up’ workflow to prevent their Solid Tool operation from failing.
The Pro Solid Tools has also had some other long-standing limitations that we have improved on with BoolTools.
You will need to purchase a license key in order to use BoolTools 2. Without a license, BoolTools will run in ‘Preview Mode’ which allows you to temporarily see the results of the boolean operation, but the actual object will not be created.
Once you have ordered, you will receive TWO emails: a purchase receipt email from MindSight Studios Inc. and another email with your license info. If you do not receive these emails within 30 minutes after ordering, please contact customer support.
Download BoolTools 2
Click the button below to download the BoolTools RBZ file and then then watch the video for installation instructions. The video was made for Profile Builder 2 but the steps are the same with BoolTools.
By downloading the software, you indicate that you agree to the terms of the license agreement.
Known Issues (Please Read):
- Bug-splats and crashes can occur if you are using BoolTools 2 and have SketchUp’s Auto-Save feature enabled. It is strongly recommended to disable Auto-Save when you are using BoolTools 2. Instead, perform manual saving. If you are no longer using BoolTools, and have manually saved your model, it should be safe to re-enable Auto-Save.
- The Single Object Union tool can sometimes cause SketchUp to become unresponsive or crash in certain situations. Please save your model before using using this tool. If you experience this issue, please use multiple operations of the Union tool to combine the nested objects into one solid.
- Using BoolTools 2 on objects with nested solids can sometimes cause SketchUp to become unresponsive or crash in certain situations. Please save your model before using BoolTools 2 on objects with nested solids. If you experience this issue, try exploding the parent solid and performing the operation on the individual sub-objects.
Q: How do I fix my objects so that they are solids?
A: The best tool we know for this is ThomThom’s awesome SolidInspector2 tool. It’s FREE at the Extension Warehouse
Q: Why does BoolTools 2 ask me if I want to apply ‘magic scaling’ to my models when I save?
A: Sometimes, Boolean operations result in VERY tiny edges which SketchUp does not like. In fact, SketchUp will try to clean these edges up whenever you save your model. The problem is that when SketchUp ‘cleans’ or deletes these edges, tiny holes get created in your model and it is no longer a solid. BoolTools 2 can detect when SketchUp wants to ‘fix’ your model and then stop it from messing up your printable solid models. By applying a special scaling technique, BoolTools 2 can prevent SketchUp from creating these holes in your model.
Q: Do I need to scale my models HUGE before using BoolTools?
A: Nope! BoolTools is optimized to work with smaller 3D printable models (but also works for big models too)
Q: Does BoolTools keep the original objects layer and name?
A: Yes! The FIRST object that you select will be the one that keeps the layer and name. If the object is a component, all instances will be modified by the operation as expected.
Q: Help, I still have more questions!
A: Please contact us! We’ll be glad to help!