Make your windows and door components automatically cut through double-sided walls! Not only that, if you move the component after inserting it, the double-cut will automatically be updated, saving you valuable time.
SketchUp 2017 or newer is required for Double-Cut. It is compatible with both Mac and PC. Purchase a permanent license now for only $20 US.
How to Use
Create or Import a SketchUp Cutting Component
Cutting components are special components that you can easily create with SketchUp. To create a cutting component:
- Create a component that contains a series of edges that form a closed shape (like a rectangle). These edges will be used to cut the opening (cutting edges).
- Make sure the Component settings are set to ‘Cut Opening’
- Make sure the Component is set to glue to a face.
- Make sure the component axis is set so that cutting edges on directly are on the X-Y (Red-Green) plane.
Modifying Cutting Components
When you insert new cutting components in your model onto an existing face, Double-Cut will work automatically.
If you move, rotate, or scale the components, the double-cut will update.
Enable and Disable Double-Cut
You can disable or enable double-cut for the selected cutting component. To disable double-cut for all components, you must disable the plugin using the SketchUp Extension Manager and restart SketchUp.
Unglue and Re-Glue Cutting Components
In order for double-cut to work, the cutting component must be glued directly to a face and not to another group or component.
- To unglue a cutting component, use SketchUp’s right-click context menu
- To re-glue a cutting component, select the component and a face and then choose Double-Cut -> Glue to Face from the context menu. For this to work, the cutting component must it’s axis located on the plane of the selected face.
Exploding and Modifying Locked Double-Cut Groups
The Double-Cut groups are locked by default and cannot be modified.
- To unlock the selected double-cut groups, use the SketchUp right-click context menu.
- To unlock and explode the selected groups, choose Double-Cut -> Explode Locked Groups from the context menu.
- Use the SketchUp outliner to easily select multiple double-cut groups.
Using Double-Cut as a Rough Opening Tool
Q: Why is the right-click menu grayed-out?
A: You need to insert (glue) your cutting components directly onto a SketchUp face, not a group or component. Make sure you can select the face that you want to cut through with your cutting component. If you can’t select it, double-click it until you are able to select it. Once you can select the face, then you should be able to insert or create a cutting component onto it and then Double-cut will be able to automatically cut through both sides.
Q: Why is my component not cutting?
A: See this SketchUp Team Member post about creating cutting components
- There appears to be a conflict with Vali Architects ‘Instant Door / Window’ plugin. If you are experiencing problems using the Instant Door / Window plugin, please temporarily disable the Double-Cut plugin.